Fifty-five brave souls turned up for the running of the Windows By Geoff Case 10 km King of the Mountains handicap at the You Yangs on Sunday. The early morning fog cleared, resulting in perfect racing conditions. Runners pondered whether it was better to walk or run up the torturous saddle section.
It was Michael Minney who handled the testing course best, holding off the fast finishing Ed Kelly by 50 metres with Luke Haines a further 35 metres back. For Minney who joined in 2019, it was his first victory. Kelly won the sponsor’s award for the fastest male whilst invitation entrant, Tegan Geall, was the fastest female by over two minutes to also be richly rewarded.
Fiona Fitzpatrick and Joanna MacCarthy were both acclaimed for reaching their 100 run milestones.
Top 10 Placings
M. Minney 44.25, E. Kelly 42.00, L. Haines 43.09. P. Posterino 42.22, S. Vander Bruggen 43.35, K. Walker 48.47, R. Solly 51.09, B. Ingles 53.11, M. Crawford 52.40, S. Andrews 52.26.
- Under 40 Male: H. Fleet 42.17, P. Posterino 42.22.
- Under 40 Female: T. Geall 50.24, M. Crawford 52.40.
- Veteran Male: E. Kelly 42.00, L. Haines 43.09.
- Veteran Female: K. Wright 62.02, L. Solly 62.26.
- Masters Male: R. Solly 51.09, G. Wrest 53.59.
- Masters Female: S. Andrews 52.26, T. De Koning-Ward 61.31.
- Legends Male: K. Walker 48.47, K. McNulty 49.01.
- Legends Female: P. Galvin 61.44, J. Austin 64.46.
- Supervets Male: D. Elward, V. Gasper 58.54, J. Walker 60.57.
- Supervets Female: C. Bridgland 74.46, F. Barnett 73.30.
Consolation 5 km: G. Marshall
Magic Money: B. Ingles 53:11
Next Sunday’s race is a 10 km handicap race starting at Geelong Grammar School at 9:00 a.m. New members and invitation runners most welcome. Registrations close at 8:30 a.m.