The small field of 48 that turned out for the running of The Happy Runner 10km handicap at Torquay on Sunday morning were greeted by overcast skies. A strong headwind on the outward leg made for tough going but it meant the return leg was much more pleasurable.
John Morton, who recently returned from a restrictive injury, streaked away to win by 120 metres from Alister Ward with Jeff Walker thirty metres further astern. It was Morton’s first handicap win since being involved in the club’s only dead heat at Wurdiboluc in 2016.
Kate Bramley was the fastest female by over 8 minutes whilst Paul Posterino narrowly defeated first time member, Tony Van by only 13 seconds. Life members of yesteryear, Peter Doyle and Peter Bliss, along with the club’s oldest surviving member, Bob Bateman graced us with their attendance. Gerry Fitzpatrick was congratulated on reaching his 100 run milestone.
Top 10 Placings
J. Morton 51.12, A. Ward 43.51, J. Walker 56.18, D. Woodberry 51.42, P. Fuller 49.34, P. Galvin 53.39, S. Pretty 48.23, R. Meesen 55.44, K. Bramley 40.39, D. Elward 44.15.
- Under 40 Male: P. Posterino 39.09, S. Thompson 46.20.
- Under 40 Female: K. Bramley 40.39, C. Neuton 51.08.
- Veteran Male: T. Van 39.22, L. Haines 41.04.
- Veteran Female: F. Luca 52.37, L. Solly 54.42.
- Masters Male: A. Ward 43.51, S. Pretty 48.23.
- Masters Female: S. Andrews 49.27, T. De Koning-Ward 55.51.
- Legends Male: K. McNulty 44.59, D. Churkovich 49.49.
- Legends Female: P. Galvin 53.39, M. Henshaw 65.19.
- Supervets Male: D. Elward 44.15, P. Fuller 49.34.
- Supervets Female: C. Stephens 57.58, F. Barnett 72.36.
- Magic Money: T. De Koning-Ward 55.51
Next Sunday’s race is an 8 km handicap race starting at the Fyansford Hotel at 9:00 a.m. New members and invitation runners most welcome. Registrations close at 8:30 a.m.