The 88 competitors in the Kieser 5km Sealed Handicap at the Canoe Club were blessed with a perfect morning for fast racing. Liam Drady was first over the line with Luke Considine twenty metres behind with a similar margin to youngster Isaac Hedley, having his first club race. In the female section, invitation runner Hayley Newman won by a huge margin from Sharon Pedersen and Sue Howell.
When handicappers Dan, Jo and Michael applied the hidden handicaps, Carol Crawford, who has been running well, won the Frontmarkers division and Ralph Wright back from injury won the Middlemarkers. Steve Curtain repeated last year’s Backmarkers triumph, whilst Tyler Costin collected the sash in the New and Returning Runners’ division.
Frontmarkers: C. Crawford 25.10, Middlemarkers: R. Wright 24.14, Backmarkers: S. Curtain 18.14, New and Returning Runners: T.Costin 22.35.
- Under 20 Male: I. Hedley 17.48.
- Under 20 Female: T. Costin 22.35, C. Paul 24.00.
- Under 40 Male: L. Drady 17.41, S. Curtain 18.14.
- Under 40 Female: H. Newton 18.39, M. Crawford 22.16.
- Veteran Male: L. Considine 17.45, P. Posterino 18.04.
- Veteran Female: K. Wright 23.40, L. Solly 24.02.
- Masters Male: J. Foran 20.46, N. Rashid 21.46.
- Masters Female: S. Petersen 20.40, S. Andrews 22.21.
- Legends Male : K. Walker 20.08, K. Henderson 20.29.
- Legends Female: S. Howell 21.19, C. Crawford 25.10.
- Supervets Male: D. Elward 20.32, M. Wright 22.15.
- Supervets Female: C. Stephens 26.23, J. Austin 27.41
Next Sunday’s race is a teams race at Barwon Valley Park at 9:00 a.m. Entries need to be made at www.gccc.au by 12th May. New members most welcome. Please arrive by 8:30 a.m.