The heavy shower passed, easing to intermittent drizzle as the field of 65 took off in the Kieser 10 km handicap at the Geelong Grammar School on Sunday. The moderate breeze meant conditions were quite favourable.
Middlemarker Leo Pye won his second race in a fortnight when he held on to beat perennial placegetter, Ken Walker, by 50 metres with Rachel Ryan a similar distance back in third place. Pye uses the shorter distances at Masters Athletics to sharpen up his speed.
Susan Andrew increased her lead in the club championship by comprehensively being the fastest female while Pat Hagan was comfortably the fastest male. Thanks to the course directors and marshals for their contribution to a successful event.
Top 10 Placings
L. Pye 49.08, K. Walker 41.50, R. Ryan 53.49, S. Andrews 45.25, D. Churkovich 47.07, C. Crawford 51.49, F. Engelsman 55.26, B. Ellis 43.29, D. Wright 37.43, F. Barnett 67.24.
- Under 40 Male: P. Hagan 36.10, E. James 37.22.
- Under 40 Female: K. Bahari 48.50, J. Bish 51.07.
- Veteran Male: D. Burns 36.50, E. Kelly 37.19.
- Veteran Female: K. Wright 51.52, K. Gilbert 52.43.
- Masters Male: A. Ward 43.05, Z. Krstevski 43.51.
- Masters Female: S. Andrews 45.25. C. Crawford 51.49.
- Legends Male: K. Walker 41.50, K. McNulty 42.43.
- Legends Female: P. Galvin 51.26, J. Austin 56.26.
- Supervets Male: D. Elward 42.17, V. Gasper 48.03.
- Supervets Female: C. Stephens 55.22, F. Barnett 67.24.
- Magic Money: P. Galvin 51.26.
Next Sunday’s race is a 10 km handicap race starting at Royal Park, Point Lonsdale School at 9:00 a.m. New members and invitation runners most welcome. Registrations close at 8:30 a.m.